TOP 10 Things To Do a Day Before Moving
Moving to a new home is an exciting yet hectic time. The anticipation of a new beginning is often coupled with the stress of organizing and packing your entire life into boxes. As moving day approaches, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. That’s why we’ve compiled a simple yet essential guide for you. In this blog, we’ll walk you through the top 10 things to do the day before your move, ensuring a smooth transition from your old home to your new haven. From keeping your new home key close at hand to packing an essentials bag, double-checking boxes, confirming moving details, and taking a moment to say heartfelt goodbyes, we cover it all. Let’s turn your moving experience into a seamless and memorable journey. Read on to discover practical tips that will make your move stress-free and even a little exciting!
Get Your New Home Key
Always keep the key to your new home with you. A client once left the key with his wife in Chennai while he moved to Coimbatore. When he arrived at the new place, he realized he didn’t have the key, causing a delay. We stored their belongings temporarily and waited for the key to arrive via courier. To avoid such situations, make sure the key is in your possession right from the start. It’s a small step that can save you from big hassles during the move.
Pack Essentials Bag:
When moving, it’s crucial to have immediate access to essential items amidst the flurry of activity. To ensure you’re well-prepared, pack a bag with the following necessities:
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and other personal hygiene items.
- Change of Clothes: Comfortable attire for the moving day and the next day.
- Medications: Prescriptions and any essential medications you or your family members may need.
- Important Documents: IDs, passports, driver’s licenses, moving-related papers, and any legal documents.
- Mobile Phone: Your smartphone for communication, navigation, and emergencies.
- Charger: A charger for your mobile phone to ensure it stays powered throughout the day.
- Laptop (if applicable): If you use a laptop, keep it charged, especially if you’ll need it for work or important tasks.
- Cash and Cards: Some cash and your debit/credit cards for any unexpected expenses or purchases.
- Snacks and Water: Energy-boosting snacks and a water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Basic Tools: A small toolkit with essentials like a screwdriver and a utility knife might come in handy.
Having these items readily available in your essentials bag will save you from digging through boxes and provide comfort and convenience during the moving process.
Double-Check Boxes: Before the moving day, go through all your packed boxes. Ensure they are properly labeled, indicating the contents and the rooms they belong to. Fragile items should be carefully wrapped and marked as delicate. Proper labeling not only helps you keep track of your belongings but also assists the movers in handling the boxes with care.
Confirm Moving Details: Communication is key. Double-confirm all the moving details with the home shifting company or helpers. Verify the exact time they will arrive and provide them with both your current and new addresses. Having clear communication ensures a smoother process on the day of the move.
Prepare Snacks and Drinks: Moving can be physically demanding, so it’s crucial to stay hydrated and energized. Pack a cooler with snacks, water, and beverages for both yourself and the moving crew. Having refreshments readily available will keep everyone energized and focused throughout the day.
Disassemble Furniture: To make furniture transportation easier and safer, disassemble items that can be taken apart. Keep all screws, bolts, and small parts in labeled bags, ensuring nothing gets lost during the move. This step not only saves space in the moving truck but also reduces the risk of damage to your furniture.
Cleaning your Current Home:
Whether you own your current residence or are renting, taking a moment to clean and tidy up is a thoughtful gesture. After packing, dedicate some time to ensure your current home is in good condition before you leave. Here’s what you can do:
- Windows and Doors: Close all windows and lock all doors. This step is crucial for security and prevents any potential mishaps.
- General Cleaning: Give the house a quick clean. Wipe down surfaces, sweep the floors, and ensure everything is in order. A clean space not only looks good but also leaves a positive impression.
- For Renters: If you’re in a rented home, this step is particularly important. Leaving your rented home clean and well-maintained can avoid unnecessary disputes between you and the landlord. It ensures a smooth handover process and maintains a good landlord-tenant relationship. Remember, a little effort in cleaning up can go a long way and make your moving experience hassle-free.
- Secure Valuables: Gather and pack valuable items such as jewelry, important documents, and electronics separately. It’s advisable to carry these valuable items with you rather than putting them in the moving truck. This precaution ensures their safety and gives you peace of mind during the move.
- Say Goodbyes: Take a moment to say goodbye to neighbors, friends, or anyone significant in your current location. Exchange contact information if you plan to stay in touch. These farewells provide a sense of closure and allow you to leave on a positive note.
- Relax and Rest: Moving day can be physically and emotionally draining. Try to get a good night’s sleep before the big day. Being well-rested will help you handle the challenges effectively and approach the move with a clear mind and positive attitude. Adequate rest ensures you’re ready to tackle the tasks ahead and make the transition as smooth as possible.
In the hustle of moving, the day before is your preparation ground. Keep your new home key close and essentials nearer. Organize boxes, confirm details, secure valuables, say goodbyes, and rest. With these steps, you’re set for a smooth move. Best of luck in your new home!